Saturday, September 11, 2010

CPA & Place Value

New things that I learnt: CPA

C > Concrete -- to provide concrete materials to let children explore.. (adults need this too!)
P > Pictorial -- to serve as visual for children as clues (adults like me need this too!)
A > Abstract -- to think at a higher level (sometimes its difficult for adults to do it!)

Place Value
This is challenging! I am unsure of this concept... Well... Read some information and this is what I gathered...

Definition of place value:
1) Positional notation or place-value notation is a generalization of decimal notation to arbitrary base. (WOW...Challenging!)
2) The value of a digit as determined by its position in a number.
3) Value of each number by the location of the digit.


With regards to the challenge post by the Lecturer....

Okay.. Let me try...

How shall the sequence be?

I think it should be this way:

1) Numbers in numeral
Children are always exposed to the numeral first.
I tested some children in my classroom, I showed them cards with numbers in numeral and numbers in words. Most of them know the numbers in numeral compared to the ones in words. (The children are 3 going to be 4 years old)
Also, numerals can be found anywhere, be it in the classroom, home or outside.View Image

2) Number in words
When a child learns his or her phonics, they willl start to decode words. I think with their decoding skills, we should introduce the number in text. At the same time, they can practise on their decoding skills. Also, we can further facilitate by providing, cards with numerals and text. Then they can have a matching game whereby they match the text to the right numeral.
View Image


3) Numbers in tens and ones
Next, we should introduce the tens and ones. We can use the numerals that we have thought earlier and introduce them to this step. Slowly, demonstrates to the children the differences of ones and tens.
View Image

4) Place value chart
We need to have a chart to let our children practise the placing of the values.
View Image

5) Expanded notations
I think this step is the most complex among the others. That is why I think it should be the last step.




*** There you go... This is what I think it should be....***

~~ADIOS~~

No comments:

Post a Comment