Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Chapter 1 and chapter 2 - First Mathematic Assignment

Chapter one:
After reading through this chapter, what I thought was important would be the "Principles and Standards for School Mathematics".

Out of the 6 principles stated in the book, I think the ones below are very important. 

1) The Equity Principle - All students must have the opportunity and adequate support to learn Mathematics.
I agree that this principle is important. I believe no matter how terrible a student is, the teacher should try as hard as possible to support his or her learning. 

2) The Teaching Principle - Teachers must understand how children learn Mathematics and understand deeply the Mathematics that they are teaching. 
I agree with this statement. During any other subjects too, when a teacher is going to teach lessons, one need to be aware of what the lessons are, how to carry it out and know our students' standards and needs. 

"A bulb with people surrounding it - to learn, one needs the support of others especially the teachers." -Nuzurul Ashikin


Problem solving
Before reading this chapter, I though problem solving just mean to solve a problem. However, I found out that it is actually a vehicle through which students develop Mathematical ideas. 

Chapter two:

"Finding and exploring this regularity or order, and then making sense of it, is what doing Mathematics is all about."

Is this true?

When I was in school (Primary and Secondary Schools), this sentence above was not even mentioned nor explained to me. What I remembered about Mathematics is to solve Mathematical questions using the equations given by teachers and to find out the answer. Nothing about exploring nor making sense of it were involved. So, is this true? Maybe, according to the textbook. 






No comments:

Post a Comment